Come Work with Us!
At RBC, our culture is deeply supportive and rich in opportunity and reward. You will help our clients thrive and our communities prosper, empowered by a spirit of shared purpose.
Whether you’re helping clients find new opportunities, developing new technology, or providing expert advice to internal partners, you will be doing work that matters in the world, in an environment built on teamwork, service, responsibility, diversity, and integrity.
Data Engineer, RBC Amplify – 2023
What is Amplify?
RBC Amplify is an intensive summer innovation program that helps you put your skills to the test while building a product that could disrupt our company and beyond. If you’re a bright mind with fresh ideas, top of your class, own the hackathon circuit and are passionate about innovation, we want you!
Amplify is a summer program that runs from May 1st – August 25th 2023
What is the opportunity?
As a Data Engineer you will collaborate, innovate, ideate and build in a flexible, start-up environment.
You will tackle real RBC business challenges as a member of a cross-functional team of specialists (think: business, UX/UI design, big data, and programming) by developing a product that you pitch to stakeholders at the end of the summer.
Over the course of the program, you will have access to subject matter experts, coaches, mentors, as well as technical and professional training and resources to bring your idea to life.
What will you do?
Discover. Research. Build. Pitch
- Immerse yourself in a business challenge with an intense focus on collaboration to develop an innovative product.
- You will be challenged to step outside your comfort zone while applying your teamwork, critical thinking, communication and leadership skills to help your team succeed.
- You will be expected to design, create and deliver a fully functional prototype to RBC that solves a real business need.
- Design, troubleshoot and develop your product.
- Work with subject matter experts, mentors, executive sponsors (technology and business) to build your solution.
- Engage in continuous learning through various training opportunities including design thinking, agile development, and other tools.
- Executive presentations, developing strategy and communications for your project.
- Technical work distribution (50% software development, 40% data engineering, 10% data science)
What do you need to succeed?
- Must be currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution, graduating between August 2023 and June 2024 (College, Undergrad, Master's or PhD).
- Understanding of programming languages, databases, platforms, frameworks, design techniques and tools, code management tooling, and/or web technologies.
- Experience with data transformation, engineering, cleaning, and mining
- Experience with application of modern data science techniques.
- Excellent interpersonal and highly developed communication skills (verbal and written).
- Creative and analytical thinker who is self-driven and capable of working in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent teamwork and collaboration skills.
- Ability to challenge the status quo, and think outside the box to develop solutions.
AND one or more of the following:
- Experience with machine learning, computational mathematics, bioinformatics or artificial intelligence.
- Experience with natural language processing, topic modelling, or data clustering.
- Experience with service-based architectures and API development (Rest, GraphQL, etc.)
- Experience with databases, storage and data visualization tools
Nice to have
- Experience with hackathons.
- Expressed interest or previous experience in the financial industry or FinTech.
- Practical experience in web or mobile development.
- Experience in agile or design thinking methodologies or frameworks.
What’s in it for you?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- A unique summer experience with the chance to develop a career at RBC.
- Engage with leaders across RBC who support your development through coaching and learning opportunities.
- Team up with students from diverse backgrounds and build lasting professional relationships.
- Be a part of a dynamic, collaborative, progressive and high-performing team.
- Contribute to real projects that can make a difference and have a lasting impact at RBC.
- Tons of opportunity to grow specific skills for your future.
- An all-around fun, innovative, and comfortable work environment.
TORONTO, Ontario, Canada
Student/Coop (Fixed Term)