Come Work with Us!
At RBC, our culture is deeply supportive and rich in opportunity and reward. You will help our clients thrive and our communities prosper, empowered by a spirit of shared purpose.
Whether you’re helping clients find new opportunities, developing new technology, or providing expert advice to internal partners, you will be doing work that matters in the world, in an environment built on teamwork, service, responsibility, diversity, and integrity.
Winter 2023 Co-op, Machine Learning Software Engineer, 4 Months, Borealis AI
Machine Learning Software Engineer
LOCATION: TORONTO, MONTREAL, VANCOUVER, WATERLOO
What’s the opportunity?
We’re looking for an enthusiastic software engineer who’s excited by the opportunity of being at the forefront of machine learning technology, and working on extremely challenging problems. As a Co-op Machine Learning Software Engineer, you’ll be involved a project end to end – everything from data pre-processing to implementing machine learning algorithms and front-end development.
At Borealis AI, you’ll be joining a team that works directly with leading researchers in machine learning, has access to rich and massive datasets, and offers the computational resources to support ongoing development in areas such as reinforcement learning, unsupervised learning and computer vision. You can find out more about our research areas at borealisai.com.
Your responsibilities include:
- Building machine learning-based software solutions for solving important problems;
- Collaborating with research and business teams to converge on the best solutions;
- Optimizing algorithms and prototypical solutions for efficient implementation;
- Extending prototypes into fully functional, polished solutions ready for internal and/or external use;
- Supporting projects with thorough documentation of usage, design decisions and capabilities;
- Extracting, transforming and loading massive datasets using distributed computing framework technologies (Hadoop, Spark, etc.);
You’re our ideal candidate if you:
- Are working on a bachelors or masters degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or equivalent;
- Have some software development experience (including co-op and internships);
- Have experience with writing software in one of the major languages such as C++, C#, Java, Python;
- Have familiarity with the Unix command line and bash scripting;
- Experience with Deep Learning packages such as Tensorflow, Theano, Keras and PyTorch is an asset;
- Exposure to distributed computing frameworks (e.g. Hadoop, Spark) as well as SQL, NoSQL and graph databases is an asset;
What's in it for you?
- Become part of a team that thinks progressively and works collaboratively. We care about seeing each other reach full potential;
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact from a local-to-global scale.
About Borealis AI
Borealis AI is an AI and Machine Learning Research Institute backed by Royal Bank of Canada. Comprised of top AI researchers and engineers and motivated by the pursuit of solving intelligence, Borealis AI is advancing machine learning science, while building leading products for financial services. With 40+ scientific publications in top-tier academic venues, the institute performs research in areas, such as deep learning, reinforcement learning, language processing, AI safety, and more. Borealis AI was founded in 2016 and has over 100 team-members across its four labs in Canada.
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
RBC is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status, Aboriginal/Native American status or any other legally-protected factors. Disability-related accommodations during the application process are available upon request.
TORONTO, Ontario, Canada
Student/Coop (Fixed Term)