Come Work with Us!
At RBC, our culture is deeply supportive and rich in opportunity and reward. You will help our clients thrive and our communities prosper, empowered by a spirit of shared purpose.
Whether you’re helping clients find new opportunities, developing new technology, or providing expert advice to internal partners, you will be doing work that matters in the world, in an environment built on teamwork, service, responsibility, diversity, and integrity.
Winter 2023 Student Opportunities, Data Scientist, Technology & Operations
What is the opportunity?
Who wouldn't want to be a part of a fantastic team of Data Scientists? At RBC, our Data Science teams offer the opportunity to leverage RBC’s data assets to develop innovative solutions in support of RBCs big data strategy. This position is an essential part to the bank as you develop next-generation applications to meet our customers’ needs. By joining the RBC team as a Data Scientist, you will have the opportunity to analyze, design and implement data solutions to assist all business customers.
What will you do?
- Utilize the latest technologies available, designing and building data solutions to meet business needs
- Be an active contributor to not only your individual team, but to the RBC development community
- Constantly seek out better ways to do things, new tools, new technologies, new processes
- Work on transformational projects delivering new value
- Work as part of an agile team responsible for end-to-end delivery of business needs
- Deploy production-scale solutions using the Hadoop Ecosystem, transforming statistical and machine learning models from single node architecture to parallel processing grid technology
- Use business domain knowledge to independently lead the analytics process to identify valuable and innovative insights
- Promote analytics across the enterprise to enable RBC to become a data-driven organization
What do you need to succeed?
- Programming skills in one or more of the following languages: Python or R
- Experience utilizing SQL scripts/querying
- Proficient in building statistical and algorithmic models with complex and large datasets, including but not limited to: supervised statistical learning, clustering, natural language processing, recommendation systems, times-series analysis, experimental design (A/B testing), data visualization, deep learning
- Ability to data extract, transform, and load processes with a variety of data types
- Ability to perform complex data analysis on large volumes of data and present findings to stakeholders
Nice to have:
- Experience with big data technologies, primarily in machine learning and statistics function
- Exposure to Apache Spark, Hadoop and Public Cloud technologies, data serialization (JSON, Avro, Parquet, ORC)
- Experience with big data processing tools like Spark and Hive, GitHub functionality and workflow experience/exposure
- Experience with messaging (Kafka, Solace, RabbitMQ) & working on Agile projects
What’s in it for you?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- Network and build lasting relationships with students from diverse backgrounds from across Canada
- Participate in fun events and gamification challenges to help build your career tool kit while enjoying a work-life balance
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and learning opportunities
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive and highly performing team
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact
- Enjoy a comfortable work environment with the option to dress casually
TORONTO, Ontario, Canada
Student/Coop (Fixed Term)